Guysborough County Adult Learning Association
GALA provides projects to:
- Enhance literacy, reduce isolation and support seniors in their efforts to improve quality of life for all seniors.
- Improve access to information for seniors living in isolated areas.
- Enhance the ability of seniors to volunteer and contribute to the well-being of the community.
- Increase opportunities for interaction among isolated seniors within their own peer group and with the whole community.
- Broaden understanding within the senior population of their role in Community Literacy and the important contributions seniors are already making.
- Help seniors to identify that continuous learning results in better opportunities for independence, interaction in our community and overall good health.
- Improve access to literacy information for seniors.
- Increase community awareness of seniors' literacy, the services provided by seniors groups and GALA.
GALA follows the provincial government's guidelines for Positive Aging to help seniors enhance and maintain their essential skills.
Nova Scotia's Positive Aging Goals
- Celebrating Seniors - Nova Scotians value seniors and celebrate their lifelong contributions.
- Financial Security - Secure and sufficient income provides an adequate standard of living for seniors.
- Health and Well-Being - A range of supports and services enables seniors to optimize their health and well-being.
- Maximizing Independence - Seniors enjoy maximum independence with support from family, friends, community and government.
- Housing Options - Affordable, accessible, safe and supportive housing options are available to seniors.
- Transportation - Affordable, safe and accessible transportation options are available to seniors.
- Respecting Diversity - Nova Scotians recognize, respect and respond positively to seniors in all their diversity.
- Employment and Life Transitions - Workplaces support and encourage the participation, health, lifelong learning and volunteer activities of older workers.
- Supportive Communities - Seniors have opportunities for personal growth, lifelong learning, and community participation in safe and supportive environments.